Celebrate Scout Anniversary Week 2014
Scout Sunday – February 2
Scout Anniversary – February 8
Scout Sabbath – February 8
History of Scout Anniversary Week
Lord Robert Baden-Powell founded the Boy Scouts in 1907. An American, William D. Boyce became lost in the fog in London, and was helped by a young boy to find his way. When Boyce offered the boy a tip, the boy declined, saying that it was his duty as a Boy Scout to help others. Boyce was so impressed by the boy’s character that he met with Baden-Powell to discuss bringing the Scouts to the United States. Boyce was helped by Ernest Thompson Seton, Daniel Carter Beard and James E. West, and the Boy Scouts of America was incorporated in Washington, D.C., February 8, 1910.
Thank your supporters!
During Scout Anniversary Week, Scouts and Scouters are encouraged to wear their Scout uniforms to religious services, school and work, and to thank others that help keep Scouting strong. Here are some ideas to help you put together an awesome celebration!
- Conduct a service project for your chartered partner organization or school as a way of thanking them for their support of Scouting.
- Hold a special flag-raising ceremony at a high-profile location in the community or school. Make a special presentation to your school principal, local school board, mayor, or city council.
- Scout Sunday: Make public appearances at worship services wearing your Scout uniform.
- Conduct a special service project during Scouting Anniversary Week to demonstrate both pride in America and pride in community. Focus on areas of hunger, homelessness, and healthy living.
- Wear your scout uniform on at your school and recruit a friend to join scouting and earn a recruiters patch.
- Conduct unit family events, including Blue and Gold banquets, Courts of Honor, parents’ nights.
Need more ideas? Browse the internet for “Scout Anniversary Week celebration ideas,” or visit www.scouting.org for more ideas and suggestions! Got questions? Contact your unit commissioner or district executive, or call Scouter Services at 402-431-9272.